Friday, November 2, 2012

Katie's Friday Finds #3 and Autograph Party!




In case you don't follow my other blog (http://www.fowlinaround.blogspot.com), you might wonder why I've missed a few Friday Finds lists. Last March my husband bought a $10 raffle ticket at a fundraiser and we won a trip here:


The week of the trip was in October and I had a packed month between writing, teaching, vacation prep, and general family living, so I wasn't great about updating the Friday Finds. However, I have two additions to the list...

The Ghost's Grave by Peg Kehret; middle grade novel
Oooohhhh, one of my all time favorite stories! With characters like crazy Aunt Ethel who shoots a bat in her kitchen, dead Aunt Florence who has returned as a peacock, and persistent Willie, the ghost who wants his leg bones back, this page turner keeps your attention the whole way through. Josh, the main character, makes the story come to life with his feelings and actions. This book is a thrilling read that shouldn't be missed!

 Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson; picture book
I adore this book so much that I can recite it word for word (with accompanying actions!). What I love most about this rhyming picture book is that the story isn't sacrificed for the rhyme. So often I'll run across that in a book and it drives me mad. Not here. This beautifully illustrated story showcases loyalty and friendship in a humorous way and makes you want to be a character on the new broom at the end of the story. If you haven't read this picture book, you and your kids are missing out.

House on Hackman's Hill update: 
My daughter loved this book so much (from Friday Finds list #2) that it inspired this year's Halloween costume. She went as Anubis, Egyptian God of the Dead. It took a little imagination and a lot of hot glue, but we pulled it off!



Autograph Party 


Not to be missed, the Indiana region of SCBWI is hosting a book signing in Zionsville, Indiana on Saturday November 10th from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Christmas is coming and this would be the perfect time to buy books for the readers in your life and have them signed by the authors (all of whom are great people). If you're in the area and have time, drop by 4Kids Books & Toys and support our Indiana authors!


Thanks for stopping by,
Katie M.

No comments: